Monday, November 15, 2010

The Center of Attention

We've been married almost 16 years, that Boy and I.  One of the best things about our relationship is not that he thinks I'm beautiful, or that he makes the coffee in the morning, or even that we're best friends. One of the things I like best is that we both sort of harbor a suspicion in the back of our minds that we got the better end of this deal.  I'm pretty sure I "married UP" and I think he feels it may be the other way around.  

It's not unreasonable to assume that we are a well-matched pair; but here's the thing - I have a LOT of control over that perception.  Have you ever thought about how much your conduct affects your husband?  Not just in regards to how you relate to him; but what about in situations that have nothing to do with him? 

While it may be especially true for ministry wives, I hold a firm conviction that it's true for EVERY wife.  Your behavior, your speech, your attitude... every aspect of your conduct is a reflection on your husband.  Does he have good taste?  Does he encourage you to feel secure in your position?  Is he a strong spiritual leader?  Does he expect God’s best for you? Does he expect your best for God?

This is hard stuff, ladies.  In my mind there are days when it feels like a heavy burden to be thought-full and deliberate with my choices.  In my weakness and selfish pride, I feel like I’d really just like a day off from striving toward Godly womanhood. 

As I’ve thought about it, though, I believe that in reality this “burden” is like a royal mantle.  It is beautiful and extravagantly becoming to the wearer.  It is also heavy and somewhat inconvenient.  I move differently with it on, and I am careful in my activity so as not to soil this precious robe.  Sometimes I would just as soon cast it aside and be free… but then I remember that I was chosen for this honor, and I am thankful again.

I recently received a card from a young woman in our church.  She wrote, “This morning I was watching you from the choir.  You held Pastor’s Bible for him so it wouldn’t fall, and you held his hand during your song.  You look for all the little things you can do to help him and others and I just wanted you to know that God sees those things…” Here’s what struck me – I guess I know God can see those things; but I need to remember that people are watching too.  I wasn’t on stage in those moments, no one else was aware of me.  Her card greatly impacted me with this truth:  Even when I’m not the center of attention; I may be at the center of someone’s attention.

In the days ahead, I have an idea to write about specific areas of life where this conduct principle applies… are you interested?  I want you to be edified and not bored.  Pray with me, that God will spark His notions in my head and his words through my keyboard.

7 comments:

  1. girlie, love it! i have been so depressed lately - just really in a selfish frame of mind, woe is me, i don't feel good, i'm tired . . . bleh. it dawned on my today that i should look outward instead of looking in on everything that is wrong with me. so yes, please, you have an OLD friend (old used in many ways :)) that needs this wisdom right now. keep going, please. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Emma. I love what you have started here on this blog. It's already been a blessing to me. I am looking forward to a future of seeing many posts on "A New Size of Shoe". <3
    ***
    (You should make the picture from this post into a badge/button for a sidebar...I know I'd love to have it up to remind me to wear the "mantle" of being an honoring, biblically feminine wife!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful, true, challenging, inspiring! Thank you, Dearest Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your true words! ...the most powerful, culture-transforming catalist a woman can wear for the Kingdom. Yes dear Emma, would love to read more of your thoughts on this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paulette shared your blog with me. I'd love to continue reading more of what God has to say through you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "...this “burden” is like a royal mantle. It is beautiful and extravagantly becoming to the wearer. It is also heavy and somewhat inconvenient. I move differently with it on, and I am careful in my activity so as not to soil this precious robe. Sometimes I would just as soon cast it aside and be free… but then I remember that I was chosen for this honor, and I am thankful again."


    Beautifully written... very blessed by this.

    ReplyDelete